Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
For this assignment, you will analyze an Episodic note case study that describes abnormal findings in patients seen in a clinical setting. You will consider what history should be collected from the patients, as well as which physical exams and diagnostic tests should be conducted. You will also formulate a differential diagnosis with several possible conditions. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Review the following Episodic note case study:
• CC: “I have bumps on my bottom that I want to have checked out.”
• HPI: AB, a 21-year-old WF college student reports to your clinic with external
bumps on her genital area. She states the bumps are painless and feel rough.
She states she is sexually active and has had more than one partner during the
past year. Her initial sexual contact occurred at age 18. She reports no abnormal
vaginal discharge. She is unsure how long the bumps have been there but
noticed them about a week ago. Her last Pap smear exam was 3 years ago, and
no dysplasia was found; the exam results were normal. She reports one sexually
transmitted infection (chlamydia) about 2 years ago. She completed the
treatment for chlamydia as prescribed. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
• PMH: Asthma
• Medications: Symbicort 160/4.5mcg
• Allergies: NKDA
• FH: No hx of breast or cervical cancer, Father hx HTN, Mother hx HTN, GERD
• Social: Denies tobacco use; occasional etoh, married, 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys)
• VS: Temp 98.6; BP 120/86; RR 16; P 92; HT 5’10”; WT 169lbs
• Heart: RRR, no murmurs
• Lungs: CTA, chest wall symmetrical
• Genital: Normal female hair pattern distribution; no masses or swelling. Urethral
meatus intact without erythema or discharge. Perineum intact. Vaginal mucosa
pink and moist with rugae present, pos for firm, round, small, painless ulcer noted
on external labia
• Abd: soft, normoactive bowel sounds, neg rebound, neg murphy’s, negMcBurney
• Diagnostics: HSV specimen obtained
PLAN: This section is not required for the assignments in this course (NURS 6512) but
will be required for future courses. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Week 11: The Ethics Behind Assessment
Consider the following scenarios:
- You are a nurse at a large county hospital. One of your patients is leaning toward selecting a certain radical treatment for cancer, to which the family is in opposition. The family is concerned about making the correct decision and asks for your advice.
- The state of Oregon has passed a “Death with Dignity” act that allows for euthanasia in certain situations. One of your patients suffering from terminal cancer is thinking of moving there to take advantage of this law and asks your opinion. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Throughout this course, you have explored a wide range of health assessments and abnormal examination findings. Although you have predominantly focused on the procedural aspects of health assessment, this week, you will focus on ethical considerations that should be taken into account when advising patients or their families. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
This week, you will consider how evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations factor into health assessments. You will also evaluate health assessment concepts related to sports physicals and well-child and well-woman examinations. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
- Apply evidence-based practice guidelines to make an informed healthcare decision
- Apply ethical considerations to a health assessment response
- Apply concepts, theories, and principles relating to sports physicals and well-child and well-woman examinations
- Identify concepts, theories, and principles related to advanced health assessment
Learning Resources for Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
Ball, J. W., Dains, J. E., Flynn, J. A., Solomon, B. S., & Stewart, R. W. (2019). Seidel’s guide to physical examination: An interprofessional approach (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
- Chapter 24, “Sports Participation Evaluation”In this chapter, the authors describe the process of a sports participation evaluation. The chapter also states the most common conditions encountered in a sports participation evaluation.
- Chapter 25, “Putting It All Together”In this chapter, the authors tie together the concepts introduced in previous chapters. In particular, the chapter has a strong emphasis on the patient-caregiver relationship. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Tingle, J. & Cribb, A. (2014). Nursing law and ethics (4th ed.). Chichester, UK: Wiley Blackwell.
Furman , C. D., Earnshaw, L. A., Farrer, L. A. (2014). A case of inappropriate apolipoprotein E testing in Alzheimer’s disease due to lack of an informed consent discussion. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease & Other Dementias, 29(7), 590–595. doi:10.1177/1533317514525829.
Navarro-Illana, P., Aznar, J., & Díez-Domingo, J. (2014). Ethical considerations of universal vaccination against human papilloma virus. BMC Medical Ethics, 15(29). doi:10.1186/1472-6939-15-29. Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6939/15/29
Maron , B. J., Friedman, R. A., & Caplan, A. (2015). Ethics of preparticipation cardiovascular screening for athletes. Nature Reviews Cardiology, 12(6), 375–378. doi:10.1038/nrcardio.2015.21
May, K. H., Marshall, D. L., Burns, T. G., Popoli, D. M. & Polikandriotis, J. A. (2014). Pediatric sports specific return to play guidelines following concussion. The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 9(2), 242–255. PMCID: PMC4004129. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4004129/
American Academy of Pediatrics. (2008). Recommendations for preventative pediatric health care (periodicity schedule). Retrieved from https://www.harmonyhpi.com/WCAssets/illinois/assets/IL_MedicaidProviderManual_PEM_AdultPHGsForProviders.pdf
This resource provides recommendations for preventative pediatric healthcare from infancy through adolescence. The periodicity schedule covers a variety of areas, from health history to measurements, developmental/behavioral screenings, physical exams, procedural screenings, and oral health.
Rourke, L., Leduc, D., & Rourke, J. (2017). Rourke Baby Record. Retrieved from http://rourkebabyrecord.ca/
This website provides information on the Rourke Baby Record (RBR). The RBR supplies guidelines on growth and nutrition, developmental surveillance, physical exam parameters, and immunizations for well-baby and child care.
Document: Final Exam Review (Word document)
Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
Module 4 Introduction
Dr. Tara Harris reviews the overall expectations for Module 4. Consider how you will manage your time as you review your media and Learning Resources for your Case Study Lab Assignment and your Final exam (3m).
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript
Assignment: Lab Assignment: Ethical Concerns
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Maskot
As an advanced practice nurse, you will run into situations where a patient’s wishes about his or her health conflict with evidence, your own experience, or a family’s wishes. This may create an ethical dilemma. What do you do when these situations occur?
In this Lab Assignment, you will explore evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations for specific scenarios.
To Prepare for
Review the scenarios provided by your instructor for this week’s Assignment. Please see the “Course Announcements” section of the classroom for your scenarios.
- Based on the scenarios provided:
- Select onescenario, and reflect on the material presented throughout this course.
- What necessary information would need to be obtained about the patient through health assessments and diagnostic tests?
- Consider how you would respond as an advanced practice nurse. Review evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations applicable to the scenarios you selected.
The Lab Assignment to support Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
Write a detailed one-page narrative (not a formal paper) explaining the health assessment information required for a diagnosis of your selected patient (include the scenario number). Explain how you would respond to the scenario as an advanced practice nurse using evidence-based practice guidelines and applying ethical considerations. Justify your response using at least three different references from current evidence-based literature.
By Day 6 of Week 11
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 11 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 11 Assignment You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer Find the document you saved as “WK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submitbutton to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 11 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 11 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 6 of Week 11
To participate in this Assignment:
Week 11 Assignment
Exam: Week 11 Final Exam
Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
This exam is a test of your knowledge in preparation for your certification exam. No outside resources, including books, notes, websites, or any other type of resource, are to be used to complete this exam. You are expected to comply with Walden University’s Code of Conduct.
This exam will be on topics covered in weeks 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11. Prior to starting the exam, you should review all of your materials. This exam is timed with a limit of 2 hours for completion. When time is up, your exam will automatically submit. Advanced Nursing Assessment Discussion 3
By Day 7 of Week 11
Complete the Final Exam.
Submission and Grading Information
Submit Your Final Exam by Day 7 of Week 11.
To Complete this Exam:
Week 11 Exam