Cultural Competence In-Service Presentation
BACKGROUND AND INSTRUCTIONS
Cultural competency is a fundamental process that nurses use to gather information, assess needs, and plan actions. For this assignment, you will build upon some of your previous coursework by designing an in-service program for nurses and other health care workers, in the form a PowerPoint presentation and present it your fellow learners using Kaltura Media or similar software.
The in-service program will focus on the provision of culturally competent health care for your chosen population. The purpose of this assignment is to design a professional development in-service program for nurses and other health care workers. The program will focus on the provision of culturally competent health care, based on the identified health care need for your chosen population. Your professional development program will discuss three parts:
- Part 1 – Provides a review and summary of your chosen cultural population group.
- Part 2 – Applies cultural competence framework as a framework for your in-service presentation for nurses and other health care workers.Cultural Competence In-Service Presentation
- Part 3 – Provides plan for implementation of a cultural competence program for nurses and other health care workers.
For this assignment, create a PowerPoint presentation (not more than seven slides) that includes the three parts given below.
Part 1: Overview and Cultural Background of Population Group
In this part:
- Examine your chosen cultural population group, including its key characteristics, language, cultural traditions, beliefs and values, and attitudes toward health care. This section of your assignment should emphasize the importance of cultural competence for this particular population.
- Discuss identified health care needs and concerns specific to your chosen population, including predispositions toward any diseases or health care issues.
- Define the health care need or concern you have chosen to base your professional development program on, and discuss the implications of each area to this need.Cultural Competence In-Service Presentation
Part 2: Application of Cultural Competence Framework
In this part:
- Explain how you will use a culturally competent framework for your professional development program.
- Evaluate how the identified health care need is being met by current health care system.
- Assess what cultural and traditional needs are not currently being met by the health care system.
- Assess how culturally competent communication and collaboration can be promoted among health care workers.
Part 3: Plan for Implementation of Cultural Diversity and Inclusion In-Service Presentation
In this part:
- Discuss how you would implement this professional development program, including a time frame.
- Identify resources needed, including personnel if needed.
- Analyze influences of support and challenges for implementation of this program in this practice setting.
- Strategize how you can overcome obstacles and challenges and maximize strengths and opportunities.
- Discuss a plan for evaluation of your program.Cultural Competence In-Service Presentation
The numbered items below correspond to the grading criteria in this assignment’s scoring guide. The sub-bullets are there as a guide for how you can work to ensure that you meet each scoring guide criterion.
- Examine the chosen cultural population group, including its key characteristics, language, cultural traditions, beliefs and values, and attitudes toward health care (Competency 2).
- Apply a cultural theory to a select population.
- Examine the interrelationships between nursing culture and cultural norms, traditions, and beliefs of others.
- Recognize how cultural and generational perspectives may vary across the lifespan.
- Apply scientific findings as a framework for a cultural competence presentation for nurses and other health care professionals (Competency 1).
- Examine a culturally competent health care model or plan for specific individuals, groups, or communities.
- Discuss how health care service delivery and nursing care may differ among diverse populations.
- Create a plan for implementation of a cultural competence presentation for nurses and other health care workers (Competency 1).
- Analyze personal assumptions and beliefs regarding culture and diversity.
- Propose solutions for personal conflicts of interest that can be applied to an assessment and a plan of care for specific population groups.
- Assess what cultural and traditional needs are not currently being met by the health care system (Competency 2).
- Apply theory to a particular multicultural situation.
- Recognize key factors regarding cultural competency.
- Assess how culturally competent communication and collaboration can be promoted among health care workers (Competency 2).
- Integrate evidence-based practices and evaluation designed appropriately for culturally diverse populations.
- Discuss how cultural roles impact health care delivery among diverse populations and caregivers.
- Analyze influences of support and challenges for implementation of this program in this practice setting (Competency 3).
- Discuss the translation of evidence to enhance quality improvement in clinical settings.
- Identify the importance of linking theory, research, and practice.
- Discuss the literature regarding application of transcultural nursing theory in practice.
- Identify resources needed, including personnel if needed (Competency 3).
- Examine evidence-based practice within the nursing profession.
- Assess the health care needs and characteristics of a chosen population to create key guidelines for culturally competent health care.
- Write following APA style for in-text citations, quotes, and references (Competency 4).
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements and scholarly writing standards.
- Apply the principles of effective composition.
- Write clearly and logically with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics (Competency 4).
- Determine the proper application of the rules of grammar and mechanics.
- Assess the relevance and credibility of information sources.
Present the topic to your Capella colleagues in a short Kaltura presentation (or similar software) that is no longer than 15 minutes in length. Your PowerPoint presentation should consist of 15–20 slides.
You will want to include the following in in your assignment submission:
- A narrated Kaltura presentation of your PowerPoint slides.
- The full PowerPoint presentation as a separate .ppt or .pptx file, including speaker’s notes in the slides.
- The speaker’s notes will act as a transcript for your presentation.