Imagine you are part of an interdisciplinary health care team in your organization. Although the team has been working together for several months, communication between members is not always efficient or effective, and the situation has become stressful for everyone. The team leader asks you to develop a presentation for the team that addresses the issue.
Search the Capella library and the Internet for scholarly and professional peer-reviewed articles on communication. You will need at least three articles to use as support for your work on this assessment.
Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation to examine the communication issue and the risk it creates for positive health care outcomes.
- Describe the types of communication barriers that occur within an interdisciplinary team.
- Explain how the communication barriers can impact patient safety and health care outcomes.
- Recommend specific evidence-based strategies to improve communication within the team.
- Explain how the strategies will benefit team members and patients.
Use the notes section of each slide to expand your points and cite your supporting evidence. Also, include a title slide and a reference slide that lists the resources you used in this assessment.
- Use APA format for citations and references.
- Be creative. Consider your intended audience.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the links provided below to view the following multimedia pieces:
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Brown, J., Lewis, L., Ellis, K., Stewart, M., Freeman, T., & Kasperski, M. J. (2011). Conflict on interprofessional primary health care teams – can it be resolved?Journal of Interprofessional Care, 25(1), 4–10.
- Gilardi, S., Guglielmetti, C., & Pravettoni, G. (2014). Interprofessional team dynamics and information flow management in emergency departments. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(6), 1299–1309.
- Garon, M. (2012). Speaking up, being heard: Registered nurses’ perceptions of workplace communication. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(3), 361–371.
- Wagner, J., Liston, B., & Miller, J. (2011). Developing interprofessional communication skills. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 6, 97–101.
- Boykins, A. D. (2014). Core communication competencies in patient-centered care. ABNF Journal, 25(2), 40–45.
- Groves, W. (2014). Professional practice skills for nurses. Nursing Standard, 29(1), 51–59.
- Frederick, D. (2014). Bullying, mentoring, and patient care. AORN Journal, 99(5), 587–593.
- Ndoro, S. (2014). Effective multidisciplinary working: The key to high-quality care. British Journal of Nursing, 23(13), 724–727.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the BSN-FP4002 – Assessment, Communication, and Collaboration Library Guide to help direct your research.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have either been granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- Proper Patient Care – Team Communication | Transcript.
- Interprofessional Team | Transcript.
- Transforming Conflict to Collaboration in Healthcare | Transcript.
- Interdisciplinary Team Care: Case 1 | Transcript.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Clark, C. C., & Paraska, K. K. (2014). Health promotion for nurses: A practical guide. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Chapter 3.