Nursing Informatics and Technology Presentation
You will do a power point presentation on one of the following topics.
- Changes that occur with the implementation of a new EHR system—Present the issues such as resistance to change and discuss ways to resolve issues.
- Role of informatics on patient safety and quality
- Assess the impact of information technology on multicultural groups—Discuss and explore how the digital divide impacts different cultural groups. Examine and analyze the factors affecting this issue. Provide recommendations to revolve issues.
- Define data integrity, data management and strategies for maintaining accuracy of data and its impact on healthcare—Define and explore the challenges associated with data integrity and management and the impact on various areas of health care.
- Define and discuss how health care institutions are adhering to HIPAA regulations—Examine this significant issue in nursing and discuss the impact on the profession.
- Analyze the impact if tele-health on the current healthcare system—Define the different types of telehealth. List the pros and cons of each. Give examples of where telehealth might be most useful and issues around access to health care.
- Examine the impact that internet technology has on the security of health-related information—Discuss different ways the Internet impacts health care, for example, WebMD. Discuss and list the pros and cons of each application, website, online journals, or other including accuracy of the information in each one. Discuss security issues of each and provide recommendations to resolve these issues. .
- Pick your topic as above
- Address this issue through the lens of the nurse informaticist
- Your presentation should
- Consist of 15–20 slides in length, including the title and reference slides.
- Use the following bolded topics and subtopics (required) to guide the flow of discussion in your presentation.
- Define and describe the issue. (one to two slides)
- Describe the background and history of the issue. (two to three slides)
- Perform a review of the literature. (three to four slides)
*Summarize what is known about the issue.*Discuss solutions to the issue as identified from the literature.
- Explain how the issue is being addressed at the organization where each team member is employed. (one slide)
- Propose a best practice solution integrating information from the review of literature and from team member’s organizations. (one to two slides)
- Conclusion – one slide
Use course content, your textbooks, professional journal articles, and professional websites as references for your work. (A minimum of 10 professional references with at least five (5) nursing journal articles required.)
- Submit your assignment electronically in the designated location. Sometimes, a voice-over PowerPoint presentation is large and will not submit if the size is larger than the designated drop box. Review the size of your file and check with your instructor regarding any size limits for submission.
Presentation Tips: When submitting a PowerPoint make sure content flows between slides, avoid duplication of information; make sure format, grammar, APA format, and content are seamless and flow. Voice recordings should be done in a quiet environment with easily audible sound levels.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week. Nursing Informatics and Technology Presentation
APA Format and Writing Quality
Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours. Nursing Informatics and Technology Presentation
Nursing Informatics and Technology Presentation