Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
MP3: Nursing Theory Critique – Instructions. Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
Nursing Theory Critique
For this project, you will select and critique a nursing theory of your choice.
The following are some conceptual models and theories you may choose from; however, you may choose any nurse theorist:
• Betty Neuman –
• Dorothea Orem – Self-Care Deficit Theory
• Dorothy Johnson – Behavioral System Model
• Faye G. Abdallah – Patient-Centered Approaches Theory
• Florence Nightingale Environmental Model
• Hildegard Peplau – Interpersonal Process Theory
• Ida Jean Orlando – Nursing Process
• Imogene King –
• Jean Watson – Nursing as Caring Theory • Madeleine Lininger – Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Universality
• Margaret Newman – Health Expanding Consciousness
• Martha Rogers – Science of Unitary of Human Being
• Nola Pender
• Patricia Benner
• Rosemarie Parse
• Sister Callista Roy – Adaptation Model
• Virginia Henderson
Steps to follow to do your critique (analysis and evaluation):
1. Begin researching:
• You can visit the Fitne website to watch videos about the above-mentioned theorist.
• You can use the Internet to find a journal or articles that provides an analysis and critique of a theory of nursing as a resource to start working with your own critique. Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
2. Choose your theorist by logging into Fitne entering the following information:
• Username: medical center campus
• Password: medical
• Under the Nurse Theorists: Portraits of Excellence (Volume I) link select the theorist of your choice
• On the left navigation area select a topic to view
3. Your critique paper must address the five (5) topics as shown in the Nursing Critique Rubric (MP3) Nursing Critique Rubric (MP3) – Alternative Formats .
4. Be typed according to the APA style
5. Utilize the Library resources.
• You will select the link \”Library Resources\” found under the \”NUR3846 – Library\” tab (located on left-side of screen) to do your research and complete your literature review of the model/theory you selected.
• You may physically visit the library in person as well and ask for help from the library staff.
6. Major Project 3: Nursing Theory Critique – This project is about the analysis and evaluation of one nursing theory from either the grand theories category or middle-range theories category. The guidelines for the analysis and evaluation can be found on page 107, boxes 5.1 to 5.3. Please type and save your paper in a word document and submit in word Docx format. Please do not submit your paper in pdf format.
7. Please observe the APA 7th edition guidelines. Use Times New Romans, font size 12, and double space. It should not exceed 6 pages (which include already the cover, abstract, and reference pages)
Major Project 3 (MP3) – Nursing Critique Paper
Your critique must address and have the following Topics \\ Headings:
(30 pts.) 1. Describe the main ideas of the theory (should include the assumptions under which the theory operates).
2. What are the main concepts?
3. What are the main relationships between the concepts?
4. How do different concepts affect each other?
Origins of the Theory
(30 pts.) 1. What was going on in the profession of nursing or in American society that may have influenced the theory?
2. What values, theories, evidence, and/or existing knowledge did the theorist cite as support for the theory?
3. What motivated the theorist to write the theory?
4. What approach to theory development did the theorist use?
(20 pts.) 1. How useful is this theory in practice?
2. Is the theory practical and helpful to nursing?
3. Does it contribute to understanding and predicting outcomes?
4. Cite an example/case study where this theory could be used.
(10 pts.) 1. How testable is this theory?
2. Has this theory generated research? How many and what types of studies?
3. Give one example of a study done using the theory
4. What types of statements are the propositions?
(10 pts.) 1. Is the theory comprehensive and specific?
2. How general is the theory?
3. Summarize the strengths and weaknesses of the theory.
4. Why would you use or not use this theory in your own advanced practice? (Begin to think about your presentation “Synthesis of Nursing Theory”). Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score. Nursing Theory Critique Assignment
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.