Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
Assignment 2: Lab Assignment (Optional): Practice Assessment: Neurological
Short of opening a patient’s cranium or requesting a brain scan, what can an advanced practice nurse do to determine the cause of neurological symptoms? A multitude of techniques can be used to generate a neurological diagnosis. Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
In preparation for the Comprehensive (Head-to-Toe) Physical Assessment due this week, it is recommended that you practice performing a neurological examination. Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
Note: This is an optional practice physical assessment.
To Prepare for Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
- Arrange an appropriate time and setting with a volunteer “patient” to perform a neurological examination.
- Download and review the Neurological Checklist provided in this week’s Learning Resources as well as review Seidel’s Guide to Physical Examinationonline media.
The Lab Assignment for Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
- Perform the neurological examination. Be sure to cover all of the areas listed in the checklist and to use the plexor appropriately.
Assignment 1: Case Study Assignment: Assessing Neurological Symptoms
Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Imagine not being able to form new memories. This is the reality patients with anterograde amnesia face. Although this form of amnesia is rare, it can result from severe brain trauma. Anterograde amnesia demonstrates just how impactful brain disorders can be to a patient’s quality of living. Accurately assessing neurological symptoms is a complex process that involves the analysis of many factors.
In this Case Study Assignment, you will consider case studies that describe abnormal findings in patients seen in a clinical setting.
- By Day 1 of this week, you will be assigned to a specific case study for this Case Study Assignment. Please see the “Course Announcements” section of the classroom for your assignment from your Instructor.
- Also, your Case Study Assignment should be in the Episodic/Focused SOAP Note format rather than the traditional narrative style format. Refer to Chapter 2 of the Sullivan text and the Episodic/Focused SOAP Template in the Week 5 Learning Resources for guidance. Remember that all Episodic/Focused SOAP notes have specific data included in every patient case.
With regard to the case study you were assigned:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, and consider the insights they provide about the case study.
- Consider what history would be necessary to collect from the patient in the case study you were assigned.
- Consider what physical exams and diagnostic tests would be appropriate to gather more information about the patient’s condition. How would the results be used to make a diagnosis?
- Identify at least fivepossible conditions that may be considered in a differential diagnosis for the patient.
The Case Study Assignment for Practice Assessments Neurological Examination
Use the Episodic/Focused SOAP Template and create an episodic/focused note about the patient in the case study to which you were assigned using the episodic/focused note template provided in the Week 5 resources. Provide evidence from the literature to support diagnostic tests that would be appropriate for each case. List five different possible conditions for the patient’s differential diagnosis, and justify why you selected each.
By Day 6 of Week 9
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK9Assgn1+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 9 Assignment 1 Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 9 Assignment 1 You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer Find the document you saved as “WK9Assgn1+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submitbutton to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 9 Assignment 1 Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 9 Assignment 1 draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 6 of Week 9
To participate in this Assignment:
Week 9 Assignment 1