Public Health Concern Paper
Public Health Concern Paper
Discussion: Presidential Agendas
Regardless of political affiliation, every citizen has a stake in healthcare policy decisions. Hence, it is little wonder why healthcare items become such high-profile components of presidential agendas. It is also little wonder why they become such hotly debated agenda items. Public Health Concern Paper
Consider a topic that rises to the presidential level. How did each of the presidents (Trump, Obama, and Bush) handle the problem? What would you do differently? Public Health Concern Paper
To Prepare for Public Health Concern Paper
- Review the Resources and reflect on the importance of agenda setting.
- Consider how federal agendas promote healthcare issues and how these healthcare issues become agenda priorities.
By Day 3 of Week 1
Post your response to the discussion question: Consider a topic that rises to the presidential level. How did each of the presidents (Trump, Obama, and Bush) handle the problem? What would you do differently?
By Day 6 of Week 1
Respond to at least two of your colleagues* on two different days by expanding on their response and providing an example that supports their explanation or respectfully challenging their explanation and providing an example.
*Note: Throughout this program, your fellow students are referred to as colleagues.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 1 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 6 of Week 1
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 1 Discussion
Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid
Use the Agenda Comparison Grid Template found in the Learning Resources and complete the Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid based on the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations and their agendas related to the public health concern you selected. Be sure to address the following:
- Identify and provide a brief description of the population health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
- Describe the administrative agenda focus related to the issue you selected.
- Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
- Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis
Using the information you recorded in Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid on the template, complete the Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis portion of the template, by addressing the following:
- Which administrative agency would most likely be responsible for helping you address the healthcare issue you selected?
- How do you think your selected healthcare issue might get on the agenda for the current and two previous presidents? How does it stay there?
- Who would you choose to be the entrepreneur/ champion/sponsor of the healthcare issue you selected for the current and two previous presidents? Public Health Concern Paper
Part 3: Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief
Using the information recorded on the template in Parts 1 and 2, develop a 1-page Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief that you could use to communicate with a policymaker/legislator or a member of their staff for this healthcare issue. You can use Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to create your Fact Sheet or Talking Point Brief. Be sure to address the following:
- Summarize why this healthcare issue is important and should be included in the agenda for legislation.
- Justify the role of the nurse in agenda setting for healthcare issues. Public Health Concern Paper