Task: Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Task: Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Assignment: Decision Tree for Neurological and Musculoskeletal Disorders
For your Assignment, your Instructor will assign you one of the decision tree interactive media pieces provided in the Resources. As you examine the patient case studies in this module’s Resources, consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting symptoms of neurological and musculoskeletal disorders.
Photo Credit: KATERYNA KON/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY / Science Photo Library / Getty Images
To Prepare- Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- Review the interactive media piece assigned by your Instructor.
- Reflect on the patient’s symptoms and aspects of the disorder presented in the interactive media piece.
- Consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting with the symptoms of the patient case study you were assigned.
- You will be asked to make three decisions concerning the diagnosis and treatment for this patient. Reflect on potential co-morbid physical as well as patient factors that might impact the patient’s diagnosis and treatment. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
By Day 7 of Week 8
Case study link below:
Write a 1- to 2-page summary paper that addresses the following:
· Briefly summarize the patient case study you were assigned, including each of the three decisions you took for the patient presented.
· Based on the decisions you recommended for the patient case study, explain whether you believe the decisions provided were supported by the evidence-based literature. Be specific and provide examples. Be sure to support your response with evidence and references from outside resources. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
· What were you hoping to achieve with the decisions you recommended for the patient case study you were assigned? Support your response with evidence and references from outside resources. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
· Explain any difference between what you expected to achieve with each of the decisions and the results of the decision in the exercise. Describe whether they were different. Be specific and provide examples. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Required Readings: Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2018). Lehne’s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice providers. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Chapter 10, “Basic Principles of Neuropharmacology” (pp. 73–77)
- Chapter 11, “Physiology of the Peripheral Nervous System” (pp. 79–90)
- Chapter 12, “Muscarinic Agonists and Antagonists” (pp. 91–107)
- Chapter 13, “Adrenergic Agonists” (pp. 109–119)
- Chapter 14, “Adrenergic Antagonists” (pp. 121–132)
- Chapter 15, “Indirect-Acting Antiadrenergic Agents” (pp. 133–137)
- Chapter 16, “Introduction to Nervous System Pharmacology” (pp. 139–141)
- Chapter 17, “Drugs for Parkinson Disease” (pp. 143–158)
- Chapter 18, “Drugs for Alzheimer Disease” (pp. 159–166)
- Chapter 19, “Drugs for Epilepsy” (pp. 167–189)
- Chapter 20, “Drugs for Muscle Spasm and Spasticity” (pp. 191–201)
- Chapter 57, “Drug Therapy of Rheumatoid Arthritis” (pp. 629–641)
- Chapter 58, “Drug Therapy of Gout” (pp. 643–651)
- Chapter 59, “Drugs Affecting Calcium Levels and Bone Mineralization” (pp. 653–672)
American Academy of Family Physicians. (2019). Dementia. Retrieved from http://www.aafp.org/afp/topicModules/viewTopicModule.htm?topicModuleId=5
This website provides information relating to the diagnosis, treatment, and patient education of dementia. It also presents information on complications and special cases of dementia.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2019e). Complex regional pain disorder [Interactive media file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
In this interactive media piece, you will engage in a set of decisions for prescribing and recommending pharmacotherapeutics to treat complex regional pain disorders.
Module 5: Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Systems
What’s Happening This Module?
Module 5: Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Systems is a 2-week module, Weeks 6 and 7 of the course. In this module, you will analyze drugs prescribed to treat neurological and musculoskeletal disorders and explore patient education strategies for treatment and management of these disorders. You will also evaluate the impact of patient factors on the effects of prescribed drugs and drug therapy plans for neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders. You will also complete your Midterm Exam.
|What do I have to do?||When do I have to do it?|
|Review your Learning Resources||Days 1-7, Weeks 6 and 7|
|Assignment: Decision Tree for Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Disorders||You are encouraged to begin your Assignment in Week 6 and continue working on it in Week 7. However, this Assignment is not due until Day 7 of Week 8 in Module 6. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.|
|Midterm Exam||Complete by Day 7 of Week 7.|
Go to the Week’s Content
Week 6: Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Disorders
Sabrina is a 26 year old female who has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She has scheduled an appointment for a follow up with her physician but has several questions about her diagnosis and is calling the Nurse Helpline for her hospital network. As she talks with the advanced practice nurse, she learns that her diagnosis also impacts her neurologic and musculoskeletal systems. Although multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder, both the neurologic and musculoskeletal systems will be affected by adverse symptoms that Sabrina needs to be aware of and for which specific drug therapy plans and other treatment options need to be decided on. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
As an advanced practice nurse, what types of drugs will best address potential neurologic and musculoskeletal symptoms Sabrina might experience? Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
This week, you will evaluate patients for the treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders by focusing on specific patient case studies through a decision tree exercise. You will analyze the decisions you will make in the decision tree exercise and reflect on your experiences in proposing the recommended actions to address the health needs in the patient case study. Task Decision Tree For Neurological And Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- Evaluate patients for treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Analyze decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Justify decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders